Format Not Supported

Support Questions and Answers for the TVMOBiLi DLNA Media Server

Format Not Supported

Postby guidoa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:40 am

Hi Zootee!

I have a Samsung LCD LN32C550 working perfectly with TvMobili. 99% of my contents are in a format playable by my TV, so I'm not familiar with transcoding.

Nevertheless, I have two movies I just got that are not being played by my TV. I get a File Format Not Supported error (exact text may be different, as my TV is in Spanish).

I would like TvMobili to transcode them for me to a playable format. I'm not sure what information you may need about the files, but I can tell you that both of them play fine on VLC.

This is some of the info provided by VLC (same for both of the files):

Códec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolución: 1920x800
Tasa de fotogramas: 23.976215

Códec: DTS Audio (dts )
Canales: 3F2R/LFE
Tasa de muestreo: 48000 Hz
Tasa de bits: 1536 kb/s

File extension is MKV.

Please note that I only need to play them once, watch them, and then I will erase them. Keeping this in mind, I don't care if I have to change any line on a TvMobili config file and then restore the original one.

On the other hand, as my PC is not actually really powerfull (AMD Athlon X2 Dual 4200+), I'm not sure if the transcoding could be made in realtime. If it can't, I have no problem on leaving the PC all day long transcoding and watch the movie other day.

If I just try to play the file on my Samsung LCD, TvMobili doesn't try to transcode it. If I manually select the option to transcode it, I don't knowe to witch folder it will send the file, but some of my Drives are actually full, so perhaps that's the reason why it stops transcoding after a while.

Any hint you could give on this would be very helpfull. Please, let me know if you need any more information on the original files.

Thanks in advance, and congrats for the great work you are doing!
guidoa

Re: Format Not Supported

Postby Zootee » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Hey, long time no speak :)

By default all our transcodes go into a folder called transcodecache that is inside the normal TVMOBiLi cache folder.

You are correct in your assumption that by default we leave MKV files alone for the Samsung range because they tend to be able to play most of them fairly well.

If you manually transcode I think it will fail because it does not know how to transcode for the Samsung TV. If you select 'Sony' as the transcode target this should be fine for the Samsung.

The only problem that you have is that TVMOBiLi will still not use that file because it believes that it is ready and waiting for a Sony TV. If you locate the transcode cache folder you will see a .tvmx file that is fairly large. This is an .mpg encoded file and you can copy this to a different location.

TVMOBiLi will then catalogue this file as an mpg and playback should be fine.

Regards
Zootee
Zootee
TVMOBiLi Developer

Postby guidoa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Zootee!

Didn't expect you to remember me, hahaha!
I don't know if it good or bad that you remember me, though, haha.

Hey, thanks for your answer. I was also trying to transcode as Sony, because I observed guessed it would be some format playable by most TVs.

I have two more questions for you:

1) Is there an easy way to change the location of thetranscodecache folder? It happens that I only have 2 GB free on the drive where TvMobili is installed.

2) I saw on the file that has the transcoding info that the Sony profile has 640 of width. Is this correct? My original files are HD (720 or 1080), so I guess that I will lose too much quality on 640. Can I just change this to a bigger value? What would you recommend?

Thanks again for your support!

Guido
guidoa

Postby Zootee » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Guido,

Apologies, I cant quite remember the OS that you run. TVMOBiLi takes a command line option that specifies where the root folder is that it uses, you can alter this value to a place that suits your installation and then just copy all the current folder there.

Yes, you are correct, although I think that the perceived wisdom is to specify the height and let the width auto adjust?? (I'm not the expert :)

If you do modify the rules I suggest that you take a copy of the DefaultRules.xml file and call it UserRules.xml in the same folder. Then edit the UserRules.xml file because we will never overwrite this file but, the DefaultRules gets updated periodically and it might lose your changes.

Zootee
Zootee
TVMOBiLi Developer

Postby guidoa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi Zootee!

No problem. I'm running Windows XP at the moment.

I decided that it would be best (for my case, in which I don't care doing the transcoding manually) to run the VLC command by myself.

I tooked the command from the DefaultRules.xml and modified it a little bit to get better quality.

I first tried with this (note the vb:1000 and width=1280):

Code: Select all
vlc --sout=#transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp2v,vb=10000,width=1280,fps=30,acodec=a52,ab=384,channels=2,samplerate=48000}:standard{mux=ps,dst="destination-file",access=file} "source-file"

It seemed to work fine at first, but after a couple of seconds it started to freeze. Every 20 seconds or something, TV says "preparing playback" and freezes for a while. I don't know what may cause this. It's not the network, as I already played movies of more than 10000 kbps of bitrate without problems.

Now, I'm trying with the default values of vb=8000 and width=640. It will take a while to complete the transcoding. I will let you know when I test it.

Any hint on what could cause the freezing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guido.
guidoa

Postby guidoa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:11 am

Hi again!

The last configuration used worked fine on my TV.

Code: Select all
vlc --sout=#transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp2v,vb=8000,width=640,fps=30,acodec=a52,ab=384,channels=2,samplerate=48000}:standard{mux=ps,dst="destintaion-file",access=file} "source-file"

My LCD is 32", so, no that big, but quality is not so good.

I would love to have another configuration with better quality that still plays fine on the Samsung TV.

Thanks fon any hints!
guidoa

Postby Zootee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:20 pm

How are your devices connected? the freezing could be down to buffering on the network, or the fact that your cpu cannot keep up when converting in HD mode.
Zootee
TVMOBiLi Developer

Postby guidoa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Zootee,

Devices are connected trough cable, and I can play another movie with greater bitrate woithout issues.
PC CPU should not be a problem, since conversion is done offline.

Nevertheless, I've tried converting the media with ffmpeg. I found out that the problem was not the video but the audio, so I re-encoded the audio, keeping the original video. It only took a couple of minutes and video quality is kept intact.

Let me know if you need any more information, in case you want to analyze something for later use con TvMobili.

Thanks for your support!
guidoa

Postby Zootee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Wow, interesting. We had huge problems getting transcoding to work correctly with the PS3 until we realised it was the audio setting and the PS3 did not like transcoded content with AAC soundtracks, when we changed to mp3 it worked perfectly!

Zootee
Zootee
TVMOBiLi Developer

Postby guidoa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:46 pm

In my case it worked correctly with MP3, but I decided to transcode to MP2, as I don't care about bandwidth, and I preffered a fastest encoding.

Perhaps it would be nice to check the audio and video codec of the media to decide if any of those has to be re-encoded before (or while) streaming.

Thanks again!
guidoa

Return to Support